We all know that space furnaces can be honestly dangerous in the house especially if you have children or pets.
This winter, the local health department in my city decided to put on a safety course for young children in regards to electric space heaters.
They had public safety officials come out to the local libraries to teach a short class on space furnace safety. The course was designed for small children. The theme was “spaceship” furnaces where they used spaceships as the main character. They warned the children not to touch the space furnaces if they were yellow or if they were blowing sizzling air, because they were “preparing to blast off into space”. I thought it was a honestly creative way to warn children of the dangers of these official apartment appliances. The course also touched on fire safety and what to do in the event of a fire. It helped a lot of parents to remember to tell their children where the fire exits were situated throughout the house! Each year, my friend and I hear of a situation where a house was destroyed in a fire due to misuse of an electric space heater. Pets are also a cause of these fires in regards to fires started by space heaters. There are furnaces that have sensors that will allow them to shut off if it senses a pet or child getting too close. The health department might have saved a house from a fire or even a life by putting on this course.